Sunday, April 21, 2013

26 Random Acts of Kindness

This past week has had me thinking, a lot.  I started a post back in January, but never completed it and it has been sitting in my "Drafts" for months now.  After the Boston Marathon bombings, I have felt the need to complete this post and share it. 
 
The Sandy Hook shootings started a movement across the internet.  26 Random Acts of Kindness.  Facebook, Twitter, blogs, everyone was putting out the plea to complete 26 Random Acts of kindness in honour and memory of the 26 victims of Sandy Hook.  This movement touched me and I began looking for ways in my everyday life to make a difference to someone else.  I began doing little things to put a smile on someone's face: complimenting a new outfit, paying for the vehicle behind me's coffee in the drive-through, etc.  I found that not only did those little things put a smile on the recipients face, but they put a smile on mine.  Everything I did for someone else also made me feel happy.
"When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace."    The 14th Dalai Lama (1935)

After the Boston marathon bombing, I think it's even more important to show kindness to others.  These horrific events shake people right to their core.  Small acts of kindness can remind us that people care.  The human spirit is alive and a few evil people are not the majority. 
"Wherever there is a human in need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference."   Kevin Heath
Every week, I will share with you one of my random acts of kindness.  Sometimes they cost money, and sometimes they are as simple as a compliment to someone who needs it.  For me, this isn't done after 26 acts of kindness.  I will be doing this to honour the victims of Sandy Hook, Boston Marathon, 9/11, Montreal Massacre, etc. and for all the victims of tragedies that we don't hear about. 

Random Act of Kindness #1: On Friday, I was speaking on the phone with a friend.  I could tell she was having a bad day and feeling insecure.  I told her what a great job she was doing: as a mother, a friend, a volunteer board member, etc.  I told her how valued she was and how fortunate we were to have her in our life.  She paused for a long time, and I was worried that she was annoyed with me (there's my own insecurities rearing their head).  Then, I heard a small sob and she said "Really?  Thank-you.".  All the wonderful things about herself that I could see, she wasn't seeing in that moment.  She needed to hear it to get her self "back in her lane" (as Oprah says).  Friday evening I received the following message from her "Thank-you so much for what you said to me.  Today, I was feeling like I was doing everything wrong and wasn't making a difference to anything or anyone.  Thanks for picking me up when I needed it and making me feel better." 
"Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness.  Every act created a ripple with no logical end."  Scott Adams (1957) 
If we all pledge to commit one Random Act of Kindness per week, think of the good that will be spread in the world.  The smiles on strangers and friends faces alone make this all worthwhile.   Please commit to this, and then share it.   Let's all make the world a better place. 
"Pass It On...." Thank-you!!

Question of the Day: Will you commit to 1 Small Act of Kindness per week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment