Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tasty Tuesday

When life gets hectic, I find I turn to my slowcooker for meals more often than not.  Before I leave the house, I throw my meal in the slowcooker, and when I get home, supper is already cooking.  It's relieving to take the pressure off of trying to make something to eat for my family when I get home from work or a day away from the house.  Today, I'll share a family favorite recipe that works great in the slowcooker.

Barbeque Beef

2 cups celery
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 pkg beef bouillion (powdered)
2 tbsp onion flakes (dried instant minced)
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp prepared Mustard
1/4 cup vinegar
2-3 lb roast of beef (any cut of meat works)

Combine all ingredients and cook in slowcooker for 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low (or until fully cooked).  When cooked, use two forks to "shred" meat. 

Serving suggestion: Serve in buns as "Beef on a Bun" or serve over rice or mashed potatoes.  I always serve this with buns and a fresh tossed salad, or raw veggies.  Everyone in our house loves this meal, including my children, who don't usually eat beef. 

Time-saving alternative: I often will purchase a larger roast (5-6 lbs) and slowcook it in the slowcooker without the sauce on a day when I have other supper plans.  When it's cooked, I shred it all and then divide into 3 ziplock freezer bags.  Then, I make the above sauce 3 times and divide into the three beef-filled ziplock bags.  I freeze all three bags and then have 3 suppers ready to go.  I find people don't eat a lot of meat when it's put on buns, so each portion often serves 2 meals.  Whohoo...two meals from one slowcooker...that's my kind of recipe.  :)

Question of the Day: What's your favorite slowcooker recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment